BY ALEX DADAMU
THE Solomon Islands Government has approved contingency warrant funds totaling up to $6.6 million last week to support the Ministry of Health and Medical Services Corona-Virus 2019 (COVID-19) prevention and preparedness activities.
This was according to the Minister of Health and Medical Services (MHMS), Dickson Mua in a joint press conference with the Ministry of Commerce, industry, Labour and immigration (MCILI) and the World Health Organisation (WHO) this Morning.
According to the WHO, to date, there have been more than 90,000 cases of COVID-19 reported and the globe.
However, the Minister of the Health, Honorable Dickson Mua said that whilst we are yet to report a case of the virus in the Solomon Islands, his ministry is doing everything possible to prevent the virus from entering the country whilst also preparing for the possibility that the virus will find its way to the country.
“To date, my ministry has been proactive in working collaboratively with the Ministry of Commerce, industry, Labour and immigration (MCILI) including the National disaster management Office (NDMO) and the Prime Minister’s office on strategies to prevent COVID-19 from entering the country.
“This work has seen the release of two joint travel advisories which is related to the introduction of the strict public health screening processes of visitors and returning residents at all our international port of entry.
Minister Mua further revealed that the Ministry of Health and Medical Services (MHMS) has prepared a COVID-19 Operational plan which the cabinet endorsed last Thursday, 27th of February.
“The COVID-19 operational plan summarises all the activities that my Ministry is undertaking both to prepare for the entry of COVID-19 into the Solomon Islands and to respond to the virus if it does enter the country.
Mua said the Solomon Islands Government is committed to keeping Solomon Islands protected against potential threats of the COVID-19.
“In response, the Government approved contingency warrant funds totaling to about $6.6 million last week to support the Ministry of Health and Medical Services (MHMS) prevention and preparedness actions,” the Health Minister said.
Meanwhile, the Minister of Commerce, industry, Labour and immigration (MCILI) Clezy Rore also confirmed that his Ministry is working collaboratively with the Ministry of Health and Medical Services (MHMS) to implement the country’s travel advisories.
“As the Minister of the Ministry of Commerce, industry, Labour and immigration (MCILI), I must stress the importance of strict border control and I call on all travelers to respect the restrictions that were put in place.
The Corona-Virus also tagged as COVID-19 has now reached more than 70 countries around the world and 90,000 cases have been reported in countries outside of China.